- There will not be an NMR unknown question on the final
exam. However, I expect you to be able to match a structure
to a given spectra.
- FINAL EXAM review Session - Tuesday, May 11, 3:00-5:00
in Minard 136 - Note: Karen will be available in Dunbar
362 from 1:00-7:00 pm on Wednesday, May 12 to answer questions.
I will be available most of the day Thursday (except
12:00-2:00) for students to drop in.
- Here is information about sections that are not covered.
22 - Nitrile alkylation in section 22.8
Chapter 23 - 23.13 Robinson Annulation, 23.14 Biological
Chapter 24 - Reduction of Nitriles, Hofmann and Curtius
Rearrangements from 24.6, Sections 24.8 to the end will
not be covered.
- Please note, our Final Exam is scheduled for 12:30-2:30 pm
on Friday, May 14. Not 7:30 am.
- The Center for Nanoscale
Science and Engineering has
undergraduate research opportunities available. For more
information, download the Word
- The ACADEMY OF STUDENTS OF PHARMACY - Promotes student
involvement in issues affecting pharmacy, provides drug
and health information to the public and encourages unity
among pharmacy students and within the pharmacy profession.
They invite all pre-pharmacy students to be involved in
their organization. There will be a meeting this Firday
inat 12:00 in Sudro 22. For more information contact Emily.McDowell@ndsu.nodak.edu.
- A number of people have asked for a list of sections that
will NOT be covered for the next exam. Here it is:
19: 19.1 - naming; from section 19.3 - we will not cover
the Tollens oxidation; 19.7 - hydrocyanation; 19.10 -
Wolff-Kishner Reduction; 19.13 - Cannizzaro reaction; 19.15
- Biological reactions; 19.16 - spectroscopy.
20: 20.1 - naming; from section 20.6 - we will not cover
nitriles; 20.9 - nitriles; 20.10 - spectroscopy.
21: 21.1 - naming; 21.8 - thioesters; 21.9 - polyamides
and polyesters; 21.10 - spectroscopy.
- My next exam review session will be Tuesday, April 13 at
5:30 pm in Sudro 24. Please not the change in time and
- Exams may be picked up in my office any time.
- In order to give you more time, you may start your exam at
- A couple of typos. If you have the lecture summary 8 from
Feb 2, I have uploaded a fixed one. On the bottom of
page 1, it should say "groups on the diene pointing
in will be UP in the product" not
down. Also, on the chapter 14 additional problems answers,
I drew the
last Diels-Alder product with the wrong stereochemistry.
A corrected version of this file has been uploaded.
- The Chemistry Club will sell Organic Flash Cards before
class starting next week. Be sure to pick up your set soon!
- I think many people missed class today because of the
snow. Most of what we covered
today shouldn't be that critical. The more complicated
NMR splitting we covered was more for your information
and won't be tested over. We went over some of the sample
spectroscopy problems which you can download from the web.
I would suggest trying those out. I will post answers later
for these. We will start Chapter 14 on Wednesday.
- H1 NMR handout has been added to the handouts page.
Some have requested copies of my in-class presentations.
I am happy to provide them in PDF and interactive quicktime
format. Please note that after we finish NMR, I will
use the blackboard. So, there won't be any presentations
available. As always, you may get a copy of last year's
lecture summaries if you want notes ahead of class time.
- You may want to download the C13 NMR handout as we will
be looking at those examples in class next Wednesday. Have
a great weekend.
- Welcome to Chem 342. I have posted suggested problems
for Chapter 13 on the handouts page.